Can I get tax credits from California? Can I still get the Golden State Stimulus? How do I get the CalEITC? Am I eligible for the CalEITC? Am I eligible for the CalEITC if I don’t have a social security number?
California has a number of beneficial state tax credits like CalEITC, Child and Dependent Care Expenses Credit, and College access tax credit. These credits add up quickly to mean even more money in your pockets. In order to claim these credits you need to file a California state tax return. We recommend filing this return at the same time that you file your federal tax return. Learn more about the CalEITC here.
CalEITC eligibility rules are slightly different from the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). To qualify you must:
- Be at least 18 years old or have a qualifying child
- Have taxable earned income
- Have a SSN or ITIN for you, your spouse, and any qualifying children
- Must not file married filing separately
- Live in California for more than half the year
- Be within certain income limits.
Unfortunately, the time to claim the Golden State Stimulus I & II has passed. The deadline to claim these payments was October 15, 2021.