How long does it take to get my refund after filing?
After your return is accepted by the IRS electronically it typically takes 2-3 weeks to receive a direct deposit or 4-6 weeks to receive a check in the mail. However, there are a few common reasons your refund may be delayed, which include:
- Your return needs a correction for the amount of the Advance Child Tax Credit payments you reported receiving
- Your return needs a correction for the amount of the third stimulus payment you reported receiving
- This is the first time you have filed taxes in several years
- Your return Is affected by identity theft
- Includes 2019 earned income to calculate the Earned Income Tax Credit
- Information is incomplete or doesn't match the IRS's records
If your return meets any of those circumstances, the IRS may contact you and request additional information. These delays can take months to resolve. It is important to keep an eye out for any letters or notices from the IRS and to follow any next steps to ensure you get your refund as quickly as possible.
To avoid delays, make sure you double check all the information you provide when filing a tax return. When in doubt, wait to file until you have all the information you need!